Monday, December 6, 2010

Copying

Ballard Designs has some beautiful Christmas items in their catalog.  Along with the great looks comes the great price. I admired their frosty looking pine cones – but at $15.00 a pop for three – I passed on that to use as part of my annual decorating in the house.

 

So what is the next best thing – try to copy – what is the old saying about “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”. So I raise a toast to you Ballard Design.

 

HC715_main 

 

100_5125

I think my frosted pine cone looks as great (if not better) than theirs. I first tried the spray on snow from a can…no deal – looked bad.  Then today the idea struck me to try kosher salt…the grains were large like ice crystals would be. To get a bit of sparkle too I added some cheap silver glitter.

The method I used was to spray the pine cone with clear paint and immediately put it in a large plastic bag of the salt/glitter mixture…shake it around until all covered.

 

100_5134

Here is the wreath using them – I am going to hang it in the picture window – just used this door for picture taking.

 

While I was running thru some blogs this morning I came across some “creations” made from coffee filters. Most were trees or complete wreaths – that did not sound like something I wanted to do…but decided I could make a flower that resembled a carnation. Thinking the bright white against the green of the wreath would be a great color combination…then throw in some red berries and the frosted pine cones…I would have accomplished something different.

100_5129

Here is a close shot of the “coffee filter carnation”. You can see the ruffle like petals in this picture.

 

As usual decorating was done “my style”.

 

Amelia

4 comments:

Kristie said...

Very beautiful! I would have never thought of doing this!
Kristie

Jen said...

You are so clever. Your wreath turned out gorgeous!

Val said...

Those pine cones are amazing! How did you ever think of salt??? Is that like icecream salt???

LKPheartsfood said...

These look amazing!!!!